Welcome to the ongoing saga of my family and our attempts to eat right, exercise, lose weight and still enjoy life, while also managing the care and treatment of injuries, chronic conditions, and cancer follow-up. Convinced that a healthy lifestyle and reasonable fitness level is attainable by even the most committed of workaholics, couch potatoes, and those with health issues, join us as we explore food and wellness choices, try to put new habits in place, and hold each other accountable along the way. Healthy food can taste delicious and wellness practices need not be burdensome. At least, that is our hope, especially as we share resources with others who are working to be well.

Monday, March 26, 2012

Another Look at My Home Gym

In January 2009, I wrote a short article evaluating the state of my home gym.  At the beginning of March this year, I came across an article on the Gaiam blog that was posted by Chris Freytag, discussing the "7 Essential Home Workout Tools."  In this blog entry, Ms. Freytag made this statement:
But if getting to the gym isn't working for you, I suggest stocking your home with a few well-chosen pieces of exercise gear to help you start or maintain a consistent fitness regimen.  Having your own gear handy puts you in control.
Does that ever apply to me! Getting to the local gym has never worked for me, except for the few months I took Jazzercise at a health club while in college when I used to walk everywhere...in Mankato, Minnesota...in the winter...

So, over three years ago, I took stock of my fitness equipment.  Today, I took stock again.  Not much has changed, including the fact that I don't use my workout tools nearly as often as I should!
 
2009
2012
1.  Resistance bands
1.  Resistance bands
2.  Yoga mat
2.  Yoga mat
3.  Free weights
3.  Free weights
4.  Fitness DVD’s
4.  Fitness DVD’s
5.  Treadmill or elliptical trainer
5.  Mini-stepper

6.  Balance ball

7.  Pedometer

Some of the people who left comments on the Gaiam article suggested that, instead of a moderately expensive mini-stepper (~$80), folks should use a simple jump rope.  I can see that .  I have a jump rope, so that would save me some cash, plus it would save me the effort of trying to find a place to put the stepper in my 900-square-foot house.

So, given all these guidelines, how does your home gym stack up?  Mine isn't bad.  I just need to use it!

No comments:

Post a Comment