Welcome to the ongoing saga of my family and our attempts to eat right, exercise, lose weight and still enjoy life, while also managing the care and treatment of injuries, chronic conditions, and cancer follow-up. Convinced that a healthy lifestyle and reasonable fitness level is attainable by even the most committed of workaholics, couch potatoes, and those with health issues, join us as we explore food and wellness choices, try to put new habits in place, and hold each other accountable along the way. Healthy food can taste delicious and wellness practices need not be burdensome. At least, that is our hope, especially as we share resources with others who are working to be well.

Saturday, July 21, 2012

So, No More Aching Back...Maybe

This past week I found something that could possibly rid me of years of nagging lower back pain and periodic sciatica:  the Thompson Maneuver.  Developed by orthopedist Alec Thompson, M.D., the exercise works to properly align the sacroiliac joints that lie between the sacrum and the hipbones, or ilia (see diagram).  Supporting the weight of the entire torso, an injury to or misalignment in these joints can cause widespread back pain.  In my case, I fell hard on my lower back while roller skating in college.  I am also quite flexible, so there is some speculation among my health care practitioners that too much movement in the joint (say, during a yoga session) is causing cramping and follow-on pain.

The relief brought about by the Thompson Maneuver has been profound.  The first time I performed it, I could feel the joint relax.  Over the course of the first two days, when I was executing the maneuver every one or two hours, I did experience some dull achy pain in the area of the joint.  The more I exercised, however, the more comfortable the joint became and the less pain I experienced.  Now I try to do the maneuver several times a day as my schedule permits.  The key to success, according to the experts, is to perform it properly and often.  Don't misunderstand, I do still have some pain and stiffness (if I sit too long in an easy chair, for example), but much less than before.

I am no physician.  All I can share is that the maneuver has worked well for me.  If you would like to try it, please consult your physician or chiropractor first and then click on the link below.

How To Do the Thompson Maneuver

No comments:

Post a Comment